Friday, May 29, 2009

Done! (almost)

Today I packed my last lunch for second grade. It was a happy moment - although not fully celebrated for a few hours until I was awake enough to realize that the moment actually occurred. Now remember, the celebration did NOT mark the end of second grade - no way, Jose. We still have 4 half-days to wade through before the second grade year is officially over. I guess the lunch people just get to start summer vacation a bit earlier this year.

I am so not into these last 4 days. I was annoyed by the concept of 1/2 days well before the note went home about the 1/2 days. But then, the note arrived - describing in detail what the precious children will be doing. Let me summarize:

Monday: 8:15 start work on second grade book, PE, recess,
classroom games, dismiss at 11:15
Tuesday: 8:15 class breakfast with parents and
students. Parents may leave with student when they are
ready.
WHAT?!?
Wednesday: 8:15 the entire elementary will assemble to
view a movie, classroom games, dismiss at 11:15
Thursday: 8:15 Honor Roll Chapel dismiss at 9:30. Why are we even bothering?
Now, I know that the state requires 180 days of instruction. But, I pay good money for Brother to attend private school. They aren't required any number of days. Why are they wasting my time?

Anyways ... Second grade has been a challenge for me. I've had some issues with the school and with Brother's teacher this year. I will be glad to check this year off our list and move on to something and someplace new. However, I have to give the teacher credit for Brother did learn some amazing things this year. He reads proficiently and has even discovered that he enjoys reading. He learned cursive and has the most beautiful handwriting (and I'm not exaggerating a bit)! He learned to carry for addition, borrow for subtraction, and began learning multiplication and division. He studied the life of Moses and memorized the 10 commandments and the beatitudes. He learned to write stories and enjoys writing in a journal. He learned to work with his classmates, solve everyday problems, and to be responsible for himself. It has been a busy year. It is such a bittersweet moment for this sentimental mom.

3 comments:

  1. I get annoyed, too, when they come home and say "We watched the Sound of Music for music class today".

    Umm, how about learning to sing???? Or play an instrument????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that those half days are weird. Are you penalized for not sending him?

    I offered to let my girls come home early on the last day (after the 5th grade continuation ceremony) and they BOTH wanted to stay at school. Shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Seems like a waste of time and a lot of driving. Come on, summer!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!