Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Stop the World ... I want OFF!

I'm tired of it! I'm done! I've had my fill of bad news. I'm tired of words like cancer ... affair ... divorce ... abuse ... death ... miscarriage ... infertility ... diagnosis ... foreclosure ... lay-off. If I were in a cute-sy mood, I'm sure I could come up with the ABC's of words I have come to hate hearing.

I know that God is at work in and around us, but I am daily reminded that we also oppose an enemy who seeks to steal, kill, and destroy each of us. I believe that these evil things aren't more prevalent in our society. I believe that with the ever-shrinking internet world, we just have more access to the bad news - as people share their hurts and needs with one another. And, please do not her me wrong - I enjoy the privilege of praying for those who I have come to know their stories. I am just weary from all the suffering around me.

I've been away from the blogosphere for the past few days. I needed some time to re-group and re-prioritize my life. (It seems to be a common conviction in my circles these days.) I took advantage of the time to meditate in God's word. Here are some truths I reflected upon:
"Come to me, all of you who are tired and are carrying heavy loads. I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 (New International Reader's Version)

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8

"As his children, we will receive all that he has for us. We will share what Christ receives. But we must share in his sufferings if we want to share in his glory. What we are suffering now is nothing compared with the glory that will be shown in us. Everything God created looks forward to the time when his children will appear in their full and final glory." Romans 8:17-19 (New International Reader's Version)

While it may feel that the devil is claiming victory around me, I remember that God was victor long ago, and He remains victorious today. Today I will rest in Christ. I will know that He is in control of the circumstances surrounding me. I will trust that the same God who heard the groans of the Israelites and showed concern for them has a plan and is working it out today. I will share in Christ's suffering so I can share in His glory as well. I know that God will be glorified as He works in and around me, so I will keep a watchful eye.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, amen, amen! I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about stopping to remember that it isn't any worse, but with technology, we just know more....

    Thanks for the reminder to not grow weary and to keep our eyes fixed on our Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. And I agree with other commenters. AMEN.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!