Thursday, January 8, 2009

What's in a Name??

So, we have all heard the saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I even referred to that saying in my previous post. It is usually tossed around to people, encouraging them to make the best out of a difficult situation. While I appreciate the sentiment, sometimes the saying goes against my beliefs. Life can give us all the lemons in the world, and we are by nature unable to make anything good of it. I believe that sometimes we need to look past the "lemons" and see things as God intends for us to see them.

I am reminded of the story of Joseph, found in the book of Genesis. Joseph was handed a bowl of "lemons." He was sold into slavery, falsely accused, suffered in prison for many years, and separated from his father. However, in the end, Joseph was able to recognize that his life wasn't 'lemons' afterall. In Genesis 50:20, he tells his brothers, "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today."

A few months back, I heard the song "Lemonade" by Chris Rice. It really expressed my heart. God has GREATLY blessed me -- and I don't necessarily know why. Sometimes, I don't always see the "lemonade", but I have to trust that my Heavenly Father sees the big picture and knows the very best for me. I have to remember the lesson of Matthew 7:9-11:

Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
So, I titled my blog "Thanks for the Lemonade" to remind myself that God has given me something good. I haven't been given lemons that I have to turn into something good. Life is sweet, refreshing, and full of flavor and for that, I am truly thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!