Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It's is worse than Target -- Wednesday's Rant

I try to be positive and upbeat in my posts, but sometimes, you just need a place to put down your thoughts and feelings -- regardless of how ugly they my be. For the sake of my readers, I will try to contain my complaints to Wednesdays! I may even be able to skip some weeks. :)

So, my target (no pun intended) is stores that have ridiculous return policies. In the past, I have had many frustrations with Target stores. Their return policy is that you must have a receipt or gift receipt for any return. If you do not have either one, you are limited to 2 returns (without a receipt) per driver's license per year and the item can only be exchanged for store credit. While I understand the necessity of policies, I feel that certain things -- like items on a gift registry or items that are continually in stock at their stores -- should be exempt from such strict limitations.

Well, dear friends, I have found a store with a worse return policy!!

Here is the background. Sister had her birthday this past week. Wouldn't you know that my sister and Hubby's brother both bought her a Cinderella dress-up costume. So very cute, but what are the odds that both would pick Cinderella for their "out of town" niece? I mean, I know Disney makes other costumes. Anyway -- I thought it would be simple enough to take one of the Cinderella outfits to the store, walk up to the counter, explain the situation, and walk away with one Sleeping Beauty costume (since Sister requested "the pink one"). Boy, oh boy, was I ever the wrong one in that!!

I walked into Toys R Us and explained the situation. The girl behind the counter asked me, "Did you get a receipt with that?" I explained that I did not, but I just wanted an even exchange. She then told me, "No receipt means no refund, return, or exchange." I explained, again, that it was a gift. She than said, "Well, if you give me their phone number, I'll look it up to verify it was bought at our store." I explained that one person is from out of town and the other giver is out of state. She told me, "No matter, they will be in our system." (Can anyone say, "Hello, Big Brother"?) I politely declined and exited the store. I then went to Target and used up one of my "no receipt" returns for the year. :)

So, PLEASE, hear my warning: Do not buy any gifts at Toys R Us unless you know for sure the person is wanting to keep it and/or you provide a gift receipt. I know there are dishonest people in the world, but why, oh why, must we all suffer the consequences?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!