Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Bum Life

I've come to dislike Sundays. Sundays have always been a bit of stress in our family because of Hubby's work. But now that we are in limbo between ministry positions, Sundays have become a whole new monster in my life. I miss having a church home. I miss the accountability of church family. I miss walking in the church each week, being greeted with a knowing smile, and a genuine interest in my well-being.

Don't get me wrong, we have attended some nice churches the past weeks, and we have met some very nice, friendly people. However, these people aren't family. You know how it is with family. You can be yourself - warts and all - and they still love you. They have taken the time to really know you and can tell your mood by a few, brief questions. They know your history, they are your history, and know your prayer needs specifically. They cannot be fooled by the curt, "Fine."

You see, we have become church "attenders." Anyone can be an attender. It really is quite simple. You get up, get dressed, and go to some house of worship. I'm ready for more than a place to attend, I'm looking for a church HOME. Being involved within a church home implies not just some place one visits but rather has chosen to reside within -- to live and to grow. It's a place that is not merely an address but rather a place of shelter, warmth, joy, security, and a place to go forth from each day to enter the world.

Simply put, we have become spiritually homeless. As I expressed my frustration last night to my sweet hubby, I called us spiritual bums. I don't want to be a bum.
"Finally, I want all of you to live together in peace. Be understanding. Love one another like members of the same family. Be kind and tender. Don't be proud. Don't pay back evil with evil. Don't pay back unkind words with unkind words. Instead, pay them back with kind words. That's what you have been chosen to do. You can receive a blessing by doing it." 1 Peter 3:8-9

4 comments:

  1. It's the hardest thing to be spiritually homeless. Anytime I moved, finding a church "home" was first on the list.

    The flip side is, as an "attender", I was more spiritually in tune with how to greet visitors and how to make them feel welcome. I felt like it made me a better member when I did settle in somewhere.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get you. Whenever we move, I don't feel like I'm home until we've found our church, grocery store, and hair stylist. My whole life, my church family has been my extended family. I don't feel like I can put down roots until that connection has been established. I pray you get to go "home," wherever that may be, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand. Completely.

    After my husband resigned from pastoral ministry, I didn't mind not having a home for awhile. I think I was so burned out from years of giving that I just wanted to sit on a pew for awhile.

    It's hard though, when you've been called to ministry to "sit" for a long time, and it's really hard for my husband sometimes to sit under another pastor's preaching. He always ends up thinking of the spin he'd put on that message.

    Interesting stuff. I pray you will find a home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, I'm sorry you're "bummed". Not having had a church family until fairly recently in life, I can only imagine how sad I'd be if we needed to move, etc. Praying for your peace and God's great timing for your new "home".

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!