Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Laugh to Keep from Crying

One of my favorite parenting techniques it to take advantage of "teachable moments." You know, allow them to mess up, then teach why it turned out so badly. Well, I guess that isn't the only kind of teachable moment. Sometimes, I get to take the opportunity to tell them the "truth" before it turns out badly. Such was the case with sweet baby girl. But first I have to give you a bit of background.

Sister had her tonsils and adenoids removed in December. When we checked into the hospital, the volunteers gave her a stuffed dog. I don't know why the attachment was formed, but since then, Sister hasn't gone many places without her beloved Presley. Presley has become like another member of our family.

I also must add, that I have a bit of bitterness in my heart towards Presley because he has replaced Marvin the Monkey. Marvin was Sister's first buddy. I loved Marvin - still do! The week before surgery, I drove all over town looking for a second Marvin - just in case the original got lost. Now I have 2 unloved monkeys. Anyway...back to the story.

The other day, Sister and I were driving to pick up Brother from school. She mentioned to me that she was excited to tell Brother about her day, "because he will be jealous." I, being the wise mother that I am, took this opportunity to correct Sister. I told her that we are not to be happy when other people are jealous. I told her that the Bible tells us to be sensitive to other people's feelings. Sister quickly jumped in and told me that it wasn't her that wanted Brother to be jealous, but it was Presley. (Isn't it always someone else's fault?)

I just simply ignored her and mentioned that it doesn't make Jesus happy when we are mean to our friends and family. That the Bible tells us to treat others as they wish to be treated. Sister, not about to be convicted of her sin, came back with, "Yeah, well, Presley doesn't like Jesus."

So, I guess I need to have some more "teachable moments" with Presley - and maybe let him tag-along to church a few Sundays. I bet Marvin loves Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. We have a one-eyed ducky that was replaced by a surgery bear. What's up with that?!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!