Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ace of Cakes ... not me!

When I was a little girl, my mom had a fabulous book of cut-up cakes. My sister and I always knew our birthday was getting near when mom would take the cake book out and have us flip through and choose our birthday cake for that year. When Brother was born, I was so determined to continue in the homemade birthday cake tradition. So, I went to Michael's and took all of the Wilton cake decorating classes. I really enjoyed cake decorating - and even managed to make some cakes for money. Then, little boy got to be big enough to mess in my icing and I got a bit too perfectionistic. I would stress that I spend 3-6 hours on a cake, only for it to be cut and eaten. So, I put away my cake tools - only to be brought out for family occasions (Birthday cake for Jesus, Brother, and Sister).

This year, my niece called and told me that the thing she really wanted for her 8th birthday was a cake by Aunt Steph. My sister even offered to pay me for it. So, not because we need the money, but because I really love my niece and enjoy cake decorating, I agreed. My niece didn't have a birthday theme in mind. She only wanted something grown up because, "8 is no longer a baby." So, I took the opportunity to create something new. I've always liked the present cakes, but I do not like the taste of fondant. I iced the cake in buttercream and created (for the first time ever) a fondant bow. I'm very happy with the result! I know dear niece will be happy, too.

2 comments:

  1. It is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Almost too pretty to eat!

    I'm highly impressed.

    I've tried a few cakes in my day...with all the Wilton tips...but I end up eating WAY too much of that yummy Wilton buttercream frosting. It's SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, Charlie Brown, that's beautiful! I'm a little envious of people who can make gorgeous cakes. I think I might want to be a pastry chef when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!