Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dating AGAIN?!?

September 22, 1996 - a day I remember with sheer joy.
The day I got engaged.
Oh! it was a happy time. Not only was this man that I was crazy about committing to spend the rest of my life with me, but he was also rescuing me from a dark, evil world - the world of dating.

You ladies know what world I'm talking about.
Constant questions ... Crash dieting ... Desperate prayers ... Lonely evenings ... Self-doubt ... Waiting for the one
Need I go on???

Well, I have re-entered that world. I thought I could avoid it until sweet Sister was ALOT older, but it has come into my life in a new form - job hunting! I don't know about job hunting in the business world, but job hunting in the ministry world is not just interview and reject/hire. No! It is a courtship, engagement, and a marriage. It is a journey full of those same feelings - the same ups and downs - the same desperate prayers. (even a diet - although in a more sensible form.)

So, a few months ago, hubby was talking with a church about 100 miles from where we current live. He began talking with them right after we learned that he would be losing his job. He went to the interview alone. I stayed home, walked the floor, and prayed that God would give us discernment. We don't just want to take a job because it is out there and we need income. We want a job that is a good fit for Hubby, and for our family. Remember - it is a marriage. And just like a marriage, a bad fit could equal lots of heartache!

When Hubby came home, he told me that it was "okay." When I asked what that meant, he explained, "Well, I find myself hoping that the prettier girl calls me tomorrow." So, we prayed about it, and although it broke a major rule in dating/employment - Don't leave one unless you have another waiting in the wings - we knew it wasn't the one for us. We were so glad when they came to the same conclusion and hired someone else.

A few months later (and a few other interviews later) we were contacted by the prettier girl - although for the sake of the analogy, it is now the handsome guy because we all know that good Christian girls don't call boys. :) Hubby flew out of state to meet with them, and came home proclaiming that this was the one. Now, we just had to wait for them to proclaim the same. Well, we waited and waited and waited some more. My dad was even impatient and called me to ask if there was any way we could contact them. I reminded him that this is a courtship and that the girls do not call the boys. Isn't he the one who enforced that rule when I was younger??? We began to doubt ourselves and even threw around "He's just not that into you."

Well, finally they called! They had been praying - how holy is that? - and really would like to know more and see where this relationship led. So, we were overcome with joy! I mean, we've known for 3 weeks that they were the one. What took them so long? So, hubby flew out again to meet with the committee. He says it went well, and that they are discussing a third visit - and I get to be a part of it this time. So, they are ready to meet the family. That is a bold move. They know our situation, and while they aren't ready to ask us to not talk with other churches, they have expressed their desire to get to know us better. I think we are beyond "hanging out." I think we are "going together" - I just haven't gotten the official "check yes or no" offer.

I'll let you know when we start ring shopping. Just keep praying!

3 comments:

  1. I can't remember if I've told you this before (if I have, forgive me) but my husband was a pastor for years and years and years. In fact, he went to seminary in your great state and pastored his first church there.

    Anyway, I totally get the analogy. I've also been in your shoes a few times, so I will be praying. Keep us posted!!!! When will you know something? When are you going???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very apt analogy, Stephanie. I hope all goes exactly as intended. Good for you for keeping your cool and letting "him" pursue you...or whatever I meant to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent analogy, dear. And you have many people praying for you, the Lord is going to bless you like crazy! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!