Sunday, May 3, 2009

Saturday Soccer and Storms

I prayed for rain, but it came a bit too late to cancel Saturday's soccer game. Is it bad that I wanted the game to be cancelled? We like to teach Brother the importance of team sports, and the fact that you keep a commitment, but sometimes it is just so hard to sit out on the soccer field and cheer. While members of our family may be a wee bit competitive (ahem), we are not an athletic family at all. While, I know I'm not raising any professional athletes, I want to teach my kids the importance of physical activity. So we encourage Brother's love of soccer. He plays at a near-by church in their not-so-competitive league. Once we treked through the mud and dodged a sprinkle, we enjoyed an hour or so in the great outdoors.

Our Favorite Cheerleader

Our Soccer Star

After the game (which we loss b/c the other coach doesn't fully understand the concept of "not-so-competitive"), we went to lunch at my favorite Saturday lunch place. It is a local pizzeria that makes the pizzas - including throwing the dough - in front of the kids. It is a nice place to sit and visit as a couple while the kiddos are entertained by the kitchen. The pizza is really good, too. If you were to look for us around noon on Saturday, you would most likely find us at Brooklyn's.

All, this, and it still hadn't rained. But, never fear, I fully trusted my friendly weather guy, and like a good girl scout, I was fully prepared. Next door to the pizza place is the Blockbuster. Yes, we are one of the few who don't Netflix. We don't DVR either. Aren't you sad for us? Anyways, we ran in there and got 2 movies to fill our rainy day afternoon. Here's what we rented:


We got home and settled in for the afternoon of movie bliss. I just love sitting around and watching movies, and I'm so glad I have kids who like to do that with me. We made it through Bolt with a few claps of thunder and ever-darkening skies. When the movie was over, and we turned it off, the TV immediately showed a scary-red radar. Then the wind kicked up and the sky poured down. Then, we heard about this:

You can only image the television coverage that got right here in Cowboy Country. Then, the tornado sirens went off, sending Brother into the hallway to duck and cover. Aren't we such great parents? We didn't even move when the sirens went off. We could see the radar. We knew we were safe. Once we convinced him that the family didn't need to join him, and that he needed to join us, we were able to pop some corn and continue with our double feature. Thankfully, we got through the movie, and got the kiddos tucked into bed (but not asleep) before we lost electricity. Of course, they both tried to argue that they couldn't sleep because it was too dark. Yeah, right! They both sleep in dark rooms with the the covers over their heads! It was a long day, but Hubby and I waited up until 12:30 when the lights returned and we could properly shut down the house and go to bed ourselves. Another wave rolled through about 4 a.m. I didn't get up to check the radar. Instead, I stayed in bed, praying that the thunder wouldn't wake the sleeping beauties in my house. God answered that prayer!

2 comments:

  1. I saw that about the Cowboys practice field. CRAZY. Glad you guys were okay.

    My family is ALL ABOUT movie days! I watched Bride Wars last week...thought it was cute. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like Bride Wars! It was light-hearted and funny - very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!