Monday, April 20, 2009

Simply Put - Thankful!

When I was in high school, this book came out.

It isn't all that fancy, it is just a list. The author describes it as "A quirky, compulsive, irresistible list of all the little things that make us happy." But, you know what? I like lists, and I like many of the fun things that she listed, so I bought it and committed to read a page or two a day. I even began to write my own list of things that make me happy.

Then, I grew up and didn't have so much free time to read lists and write lists that didn't involve "to do" or "to get". Then, I came across this blog. I don't know this lady. I don't even know her name. But she caught my attention because I realized that I need to spend more time being thankful for the many blessings in my life. Shortly after that, I came across Gretchen's blog. She does a post every Monday - just like the other lady (I really need to learn her name) - that list things good things in her life. So, I figure that's enough to convict me into gratitude. So, I'm not committing to every Monday, but I will start with my list of what I am thankful for today:

  • I'm so very thankful for God's provision and protection during this time of unemployment. I'm thankful for other's generosity through monetary gifts, gift cards, and food items. I thankful for tax refunds. I'm thankful for budget numbers that don't work out on paper, but work out in "real life."
  • I'm thankful that my hubby cooked dinner twice this weekend when I was feeling sick. It was so great to know that my household was cared for.
  • I'm thankful for springtime and the beautiful things it has brought to our yard - wildflowers, bunnies, squirrels, tulips.
  • I'm thankful that our family got to witness the wonder of God through the metamorphosis of Brother's mail-order caterpillars into beautiful butterflies. Our God is so great to create such an amazing process. And, I'm so thankful that the butterflies "hatched" Easter weekend, because what great timing to talk about new life.
  • I'm thankful that I got to hear Sister "read" her fortune cookie at lunch. I can't tell you what it really said, but she read, "You are a beautiful and happy girl."
  • I'm thankful for rainy days that cancelled the soccer games this weekend. We needed some time family time at home.
  • I'm thankful that my daughter is still young enough to think I look like a "rock-star" in my sunglasses.

My heart overflows! I am so blessed! What are you thankful for today?

1 comment:

  1. My favorite one is the fortune cookie. Oh, I hope our girls will always believe that about themselves, especially in a world that does everything it can to make them feel differently. You certainly are a blessed woman!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!