Friday, April 10, 2009

10 on the 10th

Meredith over at lifeat7000feet started 10 on the Tenth last month and it's all about making a list of 10 things about anything. Since I'm new to all this blogging stuff, I thought I'd play along. So, here are my 10 favorite things to do to treat myself.
  1. Sleep -- I mean really, what mom doesn't want/need more sleep. Hubby and I had a discussion this week about sleep. While he would prefer to sleep in, I would prefer to get up, do something, then have a long nap. Maybe we are compatible, after all. Of course, that discussion is based on the assumption that you cannot have both.
  2. Eat out -- now I must admit that our family consumes too many meals away from our home. While not every meal out is a treat, it is nice to have the occasional trip to the "fancy" restaurant that brings refills, has more than one fork, and doesn't have a play area.
  3. Take a Bath - A good, long soak in the tub - with the door locked - can wash away more than the day's grime. Anyone remember "Calgon, take me away!"?
  4. Pedicure - If I cannot have the long tub soak, I'd settle for the pedicure. Nothing fancy - just $15 at the local strip mall salon. Then I have good sandal feet, too.
  5. Catch a movie - I am a movie fanatic. I LOVE to go to the movie theater. One of my favorite feelings is going to a summer show - because I usually need a sweatshirt to keep warm from the A/C - and then walking out of a cool, dark theater into the warm bright sunshine. Ahhhh! Unfortunately, I don't get to go to the movies so much because of the cost and the quality of the movies that are out there.
  6. Read a book - I love to read, but I have to be careful about when I choose to pick-up a good book. I am not capable of reading a chapter a day. I'm one of those who cannot stop reading until I've finished the book. So, to read a book means to forgo the our household things until the book is complete - a total indulgence.
  7. Sew - My sewing habits are a lot like my reading habits - not to mention that my sewing room is also our dining room. So, my sewing days are few and far between (although Sister is in need of some new spring outfits, so I will be breaking out the machine in a few weeks.)
  8. Go shopping without kids - I think this one is self-explanatory. Isn't it a treat to be anywhere alone?
  9. Go to the gym - Okay, I may not have many nods for this one, but it truly is a time when I can focus on myself and not on my roll as wife or mother. I cannot tell you the great times of worship and prayer I've had on the treadmill. If I could only remember that it is a treat, when I'm trying to talk myself out of going, I would be doing good. Maybe I should move it up from #9 of my choices of treats, too.
  10. Shop online - I'm not a big shopper. I don't like the pressure of trying on stuff in the dressing room, and I become increasingly frustrated by clothes that do not fit. So, when I have extra money, or I deserve a treat, I shop online. Then I have the freedom to try on whenever I feel skinny. ;)

10 comments:

  1. Great list...I too love to read and totally get immersed in whatever I'm reading...much to the downfall of my house..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at shopping without kids. Forget diamonds and flowers. Just let me go to WalMart by myself...totally my love language!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you for most of your list. Number 7 is beyond me, and I although enjoy #10, I like real live retail therapy in the stores, too. I was going to say blech to #9...until you made me realize I could be missing a blessing so, sigh. I'm going to go get on the treadmill now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT list and now I want some "treats" too!!

    I enjoy every single thing on your list...except: I don't care for shopping online..I like to get out in it!! :)

    Hope you get to do these things often...very worth it, they are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, I seriously could have written this list! Except for the sewing thing. Used to do that, but haven't in years.

    This reminds me of how DESPERATELY I need a pedicure - definitely one of my all time fave pampering things to do. And online shopping is PERFECT for me - I'm just like you - I get so frustrated when I have to go and try stuff on, and then can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

    It's so nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list, Stephanie. And I agree with all of them. I don't sew garments, but do obsess over the occasional quilt. Great point about #9. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I agree with every single one of your "treat yourself" loves. I especially like going to movies alone and eating out and pedicures!

    So glad you played along.

    Hope you have a happy and blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl...I was right there with you until #9! I have never been and do not intend to ever be a member of a gym! Other than that we could SO be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too agree with all on your list! Sleep, take a bath, go shopping by yourself. Who knew these things would one day be indulgent! :) There's no mother out there who wouldn't identify with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your 10 on the 10th...Not sure about number 7. I am a new blogger...so hope you will visit me...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!