Sunday, April 5, 2009

Remembering Ethan


Over the past few years, I've had the privilege of praying for the Powell family - Ben, Becky, and Ethan Isaiah Powell. Ethan was just 2 months old when he was diagnosed with leukemia. Almost immediately, the word traveled through the Internet, and millions of people joined in prayer for precious little E. Through my year of praying for Ethan, I learned many things about God. I got to see first hand that there is great power in prayer. I saw the unsurpassing peace and comfort of the Holy Spirit. And I got to witness the goodness of God and His people. Unfortunately, Ethan lost his 14 month battle with this terrible disease on April 5, 2008 - a year ago, today.
"PRAYeR WORKS" was Ben's "battle cry" through their 14 month journey. And, while I know the prayer for Ethan's miraculous healing wasn't answered as we wanted, I know that God still heard each and every prayer and answered them in His way. I see how God gave Ethan a first birthday - which wasn't expected. I remember how God raised and lowered lab counts in ways that could only be attributed to Him. And, most importantly, I see how God used Ethan and his story to change people's hearts. Ethan was a mighty warrior in his battle against cancer, and a mighty warrior for the LORD. I know that his ultimate healing occurred when he was carried into Jesus' arms.
I've never met Ben and Becky. I became familiar with their story through a friend. However, I have grown a connection with them through my deep prayers for them and their family. They are spoken of around our home by first names. And they are still prayed for - today. I pray that God has surrounded their lives with His presence and they have been able to move through the unthinkable grief. I pray that God blesses Becky's studies at school. I pray that God blesses Ben's work. I pray that God continues to use them and their story to raise money for cancer research. I pray that Ethan's legacy will continue on and that more people will come to know God through the Powells.
Because of my experience of praying for the Powell family, I want to be used to minister to more families who are struggling. So, on Friday I will post more details of my plan. Until then, please be in prayer for the Powells as they travel this difficult journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!