Monday, June 8, 2009

We're Engaged!!!

So, I have started this post a ba-zillion times - only to go back, delete, and start again. I cannot even begin to put into words how I feel about our job search and potential new place of service. I guess it is because I cannot begin to fully express the roller coaster that we have ridden throughout this whole unemployment process. It has been a journey full of high highs and very low lows - days where all I could cling to was Romans 8:28, forcing myself to believe that God would work this for good.

And then, I also have a ton of crazy emotions because I cannot really believe that God has blessed us in such an incredible way. I sit back in awe that God would really be this good to me. Why don't I see that He wants to give it to me? I have to remind myself of Matthew 7:11 "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" All I have to do is gratefully receive.

A month ago, I compared our job hunting to dating. So, I guess the post last week was a brief announcement that we were ring shopping. We knew both parties were interested, but the relationship hadn't been made public. Well, as of Sunday, we are engaged. It has been made known to the world that this church likes us and intends to bring us onto their church staff -- we just need to get past the church vote. (Which I don't foresee to be a big problem)

When you were single, did you make a list of all the qualities you wanted for in your future mate? I sure did! Well, I did the same thing for our job hunt. I am a list girl, and I like to have written down what I am specifically praying for. The most amazing thing is that as I go through that list, this new church seems to have everything I have hoped and prayed for - and let me tell you, some of them are pretty specific!

So, just so you can see how great my God really is, I want to share with you some of my list. Please understand that these are my personal opinions. They are not scientifically accurate, but God knew my heart and He provided what I needed. (Sorry if it creates a book, but I want to record it all)

  1. Good Music Program - We are a musical family. I enjoy singing in the choir, and the kids both enjoy music. So, I wanted a church that had a good children's choir program that would allow them the opportunity to grow their music appreciation. Not only does this church have good choirs, but it also has a fine art program so Brother can take guitar lessons, too.

  2. No Children’s Church - I know I'm in the minority in this, but I truly love worshiping as a family. Brother has attended services with us since he was 4, and I intend for Sister to do the same. I was praying for a church that would not offer a separate service for children because it just creates conflict for my family, when I want my children to be with us.

  3. Pastor who has only served as a Pastor - I have a great love and respect for the man who served as my pastor when I was growing up. In my mind, I think what made him such a great pastor was that it was his true, complete calling. He never served in any other position, and He was committed to his "flock." Now, I know that other men have served in other positions and then been called into the Pastoral position, and I'm not meaning to slight them. I just wanted someone who had only Pastored - and God gave that to me.

  4. Food Services Person - I told you some of these were weird. I wanted to attend a church where they had regular Wednesday night meals. I just need that break in the middle of my week. I remember when Brother was a baby, we attended a church that had Wednesday meals. On some days, the countdown until 5:15 when we could leave for Wednesday church was the only thing that got me over the hump of hump day. I need that in my week.

  5. Staff of 6+ - You know, the Bible says to pray specifically, and this was specific. Hubby is not a Senior Pastor, nor is he a Youth or Music Pastor. He is the next guy on the staff. Throughout our marriage, he has served every combo of positions - education/counseling; education/children; education/discipleship/outreach; etc. So, I prayed that God would put us in a church that had a large enough staff (6 or more) that his job responsibilities would be more specific to his gifts, talents, and calling. At our new church, he will be one of eight! God is so generous!!

  6. One Sunday School - I didn't want to serve in a church so large that my family would feel divided - especially as Brother reaches youth group age. So, I wanted just one Sunday School hour because in my heart it creates unity -- in both the family and in the church.

  7. Personal Secretary for Hubby - Hubby is a busy man and very detail oriented when it comes to his job. He needs someone to come alongside him and help with the email, mail outs, Sunday School records, outreach assignments, etc. Once again, God showed off here because Hubby now has 3 women who will help him in his ministry area.

  8. City Location - This was probably the biggest on my list. I am a city girl. I like the city things like restaurants, shopping, movies, health care, etc. We have served in some small towns, and while they were most definitely the place God put us at the time, they were not always easy for me. As we most all know, there are lots of small southern towns with Baptist churches. I just really prayed for a metro location - and I got it.

  9. Similar Goals/Values - This one is pretty self-explanatory. I really prayed for a staff situation that felt like an extension of our family. After all, Hubby will spend most of his time away from us with the staff. I cannot begin to express that camaraderie that exist among the men and women of this church staff. When we met them for dinner the other night, we could have stayed and visited until the restaurant closed. It was immediate family.

  10. Outside Referral - This was sort-of the "fleece." I prayed that God would provide a job for us that we didn't go searching for. This church was the only church Hubby interviewed with that did NOT receive a resume from him or from someone we know. Instead, a friend of Hubby's forwarded the resume to one of his friends. That friend, then forwarded Hubby's resume to the pastor. It was a total God thing!!

So, there you have it. My list of God at work. I wish I could sit down with each of you and tell you all the little signs that God provided along the journey. When Hubby and I went to bed the other night, we counted how many churches he spoke with that were not the right fit for us. We counted 8. Eight churches that were put along our path that were not the one God was offering for us.

So, I will wrap this up with a few more scriptures that I have clung to during this process:

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8

"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." Psalm 27:13-14

"We are pushed hard from all sides. But we are not beaten down. We are bewildered. But that doesn't make us lose hope. Others make us suffer. But God does not desert us. We are knocked down. But we are not knocked out." 2 Cor 4:8-9

3 comments:

  1. YAY! How exciting! So are you all going to register anywhere? ;) So after the vote, how long until the big move? Maybe you'll be close to whereve I'm moving and we can meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO HAPPY for you and your family! What a wonderful blessing--I've been praying for you guys and I was certain this situation would work out amazingly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the specific answers to prayer - He's a God of details, isn't He?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!