Tuesday, June 2, 2009

LORD, Help my Unbelief

Have you ever prayed for something so badly, but never really believed it would come true? Have you talked all the right talk, but never really trusted it in your heart? Have you ever gotten everything you ever wanted and stood back in awe of God? That is my life story today. I am reminded of the father in the 9th chapter of Mark. I am praying, "LORD, help my unbelief." The strange thing is that while I'm praying, God has already been at work to answer my prayer - and not just answer it, but "do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine."

So, what has God been up to? Well, we have been in conversations with the one for the past few days. In fact, Hubby and I are scheduled to go and meet with the staff this weekend. I have been in prayer for this visit, asking God to show us discernment and good favor. Well, last night we were contacted by one of the ministers. He explained that they feel confident in Hubby's character, competence, and compatibility. So, they want to make sure we make time to talk money with them while we are in town this weekend. They also want to present us to the church as the candidate for this position, planning for a church vote in a few weeks.

It is such good news!! Want to know my reaction? I cried -- BIG tears! It wasn't a happy cry - although I am happy. It was a scared, overwhelmed, guilty cry. I am so amazed that God is so GREAT! I am so humbled that He answered prayers that I was even afraid to voice aloud, but He knew because He knows my innermost being. (I will save those details for another post). I'm scared, because I do not feel like I deserve this huge blessing, yet I know that God is giving it to me and my family.

So, I've dug out all my scriptures on belief - 'cause I need a refresher course.


"If you believe, you will receive what you ask for when you pray." Matthew 21:22


"Then they asked him, 'What does God want from us? What works does he want us to do?' Jesus answered, 'God's work is to believe in the One he has sent.'" John 6:28-29


"Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4


"Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief." Hebrews 3:16-19

I don't want to be like the ancient Israelites. I want to believe and follow God into our promised land. God has given us a good thing. I am humbled and very grateful.

2 comments:

  1. And just look where you were yesterday and where He has you today... He is GOOD - all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to read this!

    I was telling my husband this morning that God is pouring out blessings upon our friends. One friend got a marriage proposal this week (after 45 years of singleness), another friend landed a job (after a long year of joblessness), another set of friends find themselves joyfully expecting a baby, and now your good news!

    I admit it's hard for me to see God and His goodness at work in the midst of hardship and suffering, and I struggle a LOT with unbelief, but your praise today, and the praises of our friends makes trust a little easier.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!