Monday, June 15, 2009

Sleep Tight! Don't Let the Grouch Bugs Bite

I've been absent from the computer/blogging for a few days - partly by choice, partly because of my crazy-busy schedule and lack of interesting material. I've spent most of the weekend browsing online for Brother some new bedding for his room. When Hubby and I were in NYC, we saw this bedding in Macy's. It was love at first sight for Sister's "big girl room". (For those interested: Tommy Hilfiger - Rooftop Terrace)I totally love it. It is girly, but not too pink. I did NOT buy it in NYC, but I did set my heart on it. So, when it went on sale a few weeks ago, I ordered it. The buying process was quite dramatic and involved a half-dozen visits to the local store, a brush with the grouchiest sales snob I've ever encountered, and an online order to avoid giving the sale to afore mentioned grouch. Plus, the online prices were cheaper than the store prices and there was free shipping. As we said in the 80's - DUH!

Since it came in a few weeks ago, Brother decided that he was tired of his room and needed a re-do. I can't say that I blame him. He has lived in my "fantasy boy" room for 5 years. You see, when I was trying to get pregnant, I committed my future son to the blue Polo Bears bedding by Ralph Lauren. (Forgive the auction stamp - it was the best I could do.)

I love the preppy polo bears, but Brother - not so much! He declared that his room re-do was to be done by his choosing, and the bedding was to be "mature" and not in a theme. Do you know how difficult it is to find decent boy bedding that isn't a theme? Either the bedding makers think boys don't make their beds (which may be true) so bedding isn't important, or they believe that all boys are Peter Pan and don't grow up. I could buy tons of stuff if Brother wanted sports, super heros, cars, trucks, trains, or animals.

Well, I am happy to announce that Brother has made a choice -- and it was ON SALE! Once we move, his new room (which will have painted walls - since we've used the renting excuse to avoid any color commitment thus far) will have this bedding. (Tommy Hilfiger - Clayton)

I really love it! It is a bold choice for Brother. Until March of this year, he had totally sworn off anything plaid - which greatly upset his mother. He has now come to appreciate the Scottish wonder fabric, and likes that this fabric has lots of colors. I think it will be something that he can work with for a long while. Since our money tree died, we didn't buy the coordinating sheets, he will just have navy blue from Wally World - unless of course, he follows his mother's lead and wants orange. (BRIGHT ORANGE was my favorite color as a child. I had an orange wagon, desk, and rocking chair.)

Tonight's purchase did involve some drama, 2 different Macy's, and another brush with The Grouch. Hubby made quite a scene - which for those who know him can only imagine it. In the end, he snatched the bedding from The Grouch, told her he wouldn't be giving her the sale, and marched himself - with me and the kids in tow - to another cash register. He was right in principal, but I was so embarrassed - not that we have plans to mingle with her ever again.

So, that is the bedtime story for tonight. Now we just need to find a house, pack up, and get these kiddos settled into their new rooms.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Stephanie! Thanks for cruisin' on over!

    Vancouver is beautiful! And we are loving it!!

    I LOVE YOUR BEDDING CHOICES!!!!!! :)

    A few years ago, we moved the oldest rascal into his own room and he was head over heels in love with dinosaurs. He was deadset on getting the cartoony looking ensemble, but something just told me NO...DON'T DO IT. So, I made him made, by buying a safari looking ensemble, and just decorating the room with dinosaurs. SO GLAD I DID! Because now he has sworn off dinosaurs, and the safari bedding is fitting in really nicely with the bazillion and one Jonas Brothers posters he has plastered on his walls.

    NEVER WILL BUY THEMED BEDDING AGAIN. EVER.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!