Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sharing Jesus

I had an unusual opportunity to share Jesus the other day. The kids and I went to a local store to see about a new dress for me. (I know -- what a treat!) Believe it or not, I found 2 that I liked - along with a pair of capris and a shirt.

Well, when we went to check out, the man at the register hung my items on a hook by the cash register. Unknown to us, when he bagged the items, he mistakenly bagged 2 additional capri pants that had been left on the hook. We didn't realize his mistake until we got home and unpacked the bag.

So, I had to take the 2 other pants back to the store. The decision to take these pants back was a no-brainer. They weren't mine to keep. I knew the store would want them back. I knew it was the right thing to do. I did, however, wonder if they would believe my story.

So, a few days later, I loaded the kids into the car and returned to the store, pants in hand. Was it convenient for me? No! I really didn't have the time to go to the outlet mall again. Remember, I was in the middle of a move. But, it was the right thing to do. When I explained to the man (luckily the same one) what had happened, you would have thought that I had slapped him. He was genuinely shocked that I returned with the pants. When I explained that it was the right thing to do and that they weren't mine to have, he just commented that most people wouldn't be so honest. I guess he's right. So, I got the opportunity to tell him that as a follower of Christ, I believe that I have to "do the right thing" at all times.

He wanted to give me something for my kindness (like a coupon/gift card), but I refused. I don't need a reward for doing the right thing. My reward was getting to share Christ, knowing that I was obedient even in the smallest thing.

2 comments:

  1. A good lesson to remember to tell people why we do what we do...because of Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.

    It always amazes me that people are shocked when the right thing is done. But it does open up a dialogue for an outstanding witness.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!