Friday, July 3, 2009

Terrible,Horrible,No-Good,Very Bad Day

I'm not in a very good mood. I try not to blog when I feel this way - I mean, who needs a downer? But since I couldn't sleep, I thought I'd chat with y'all. I'm not going to ramble about the drama behind the house we were to buy, or how dishonesty just get under my skin. No, I'm not going to list all the reasons I have to go back to NLR and house hunt. I'm not even going to let you know that I learned there are worse things than unemployment - homelessness. Instead, I'm going to tell you the wide variety of things I do when I can't sleep.

Have you every suffered from insomnia? Maybe it technically isn't insomnia - only that you cannot turn your brain off enough to go to sleep. I am usually one who can go to sleep pretty quickly. So, when I can't, it makes me CRAZY! So, here are some different things I do.
  • Pray. I know that you aren't supposed to fall asleep during your prayers, but when I can't sleep, the first thing I do is talk with God about it. I ask him to give me peace and allow me to drift off.
  • Quote Scripture. I try to remember all the verses that I have memorized over the years. I just think this is more of a challenge than counting sheep (and I don't like animals in my house), and it does successfully re-direct my brain.
  • Tense and relax. Starting with my head and working down to my feet, I tense my muscles, then allow them to relax. It feels good - even if it doesn't work.
  • Blog. I am always writing stuff in my head. Unfortunately, they always sound better in my head and I forget what to say the next day at the computer. I really need to write those great, brilliant thoughts down. Then you, dear readers, would have some brilliant things to read.
  • Give myself a deadline. I think of something that needs to be done around the house. Then I tell myself, "If I get to ___ time and still haven't fallen to sleep, I will get up and do that thing." Last night, it was, "If I get to 4:30a, I will get up and fold laundry."

There you have it! A short, bulleted list. Now I have to go fold laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!