Monday, July 13, 2009

Imagine All the People...

Did you have an imaginary friend when you were growing up? Do you still have one? How about your kids - do they have an imaginary friend?

My favorite stories from my hubby's childhood involve his imaginary friend - Donny. Donny was his special friend, and he drove a green pick-up. On occasion, people weren't allow to sit in certain chairs in the house because they were occupied by Donny. Once, my mother-in-law was scolded for putting the catchup on the table and blocking Donny's view.

When brother was younger, he had an entire imaginary posse. Brother has always been into police and fire. So, his imaginary friends were Rupsy and Kipsy - both policemen who also fought fires - and Rootbeer - their dog helper. Brother would play outside in the front yard, chasing down criminals with his posse. He would talk on the imaginary walkie-talkie to Rupsy and Kipsy, always saving the day. I'm sure the neighbors had plenty of conversations about the strange red headed boy who always dressed in rain boots, wore a baby monitor on his belt, and ran around talking to himself. Oh well! One of my favorite stories about Rupsy and Kipsy was when my mother-in-law was talking to Brother on the phone one day. She asked how Rupsy and Kipsy were and what they had been up to. Brother rolled his eyes and declared, "Nana, you know they are PRETEND!"

Well, now 5 years later, it seems that Sister is to follow in the family tradition. I'm starting to believe I am the abnormal one since I never had an imaginary friend. Like Brother, Sister has an imaginary dog friend, Bella. Maybe I should feel guilty and get these kids a pet, but the imaginary ones are so much easier. Sister doesn't really dress up to play with her dog friend, but she does her fair share of talking and barking. The other day we were driving in the car and Sister announced, "I have a new friend." When I asked for more detail, I realized that her new friend was imaginary -- Alan. I haven't learned much about Alan, but I'm sure he will be great company as we proceed in this journey of life.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't have an imaginary friend, but I had an alter ego. Her name was Wendy Hill and she was a journalist who went on exciting adventures.

    Now all my friends live in my computer.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!