Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wherever He leads...

I am a house girl. I love houses. I love looking at houses, dreaming of houses, and drawing floor plans. I am the kid who would wander through the houses while they were being built in my neighborhood, dreaming of my own home one day. I am the girl who will forgo a Sunday nap to wander through the open houses on Sunday afternoon. But recently, houses have become like chocolate --too much of a good thing can make you sick. And maybe it is that I'm not partaking of the finest of houses, only that which I can afford. (Which isn't as much as I would like).

We are house hunting. It is a tedious process. We have fallen in love with one, only to lose it because the seller didn't disclose the $10,000 repairs that were needed. We then spent another 2 days looking. We found another that we loved -- maybe even more than the first -- put in an offer, only to go back and forth with no accepted offer. I'm tired of looking at houses. I'm ready to have a home. I ready to pack up my stuff and move to this new state and begin my new life.

I have spent a lot of 2009 waiting. I'm not a good wait-er. I never have been. I want the lines to move quickly. I want the traffic to part before me. I want to know the next step - NOW. God has a great sense of humor. And I guess he decided that it was my turn to learn about waiting. So, I cling to Psalm 37. It has become the psalm of waiting.

Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil ... Wait for the LORD and keep his way. He will exalt you to inherit the land. Psalm 37:3-7, 34

My "good friend" Oswald Chambers reminds me that God intends for us to "work where He sends us to wait." So, I will. I will go about God's business until He reveals to me a new place of business. I will trust Him to take care of the housing details. I will believe that He knows my wish list for houses -- just like He knew my wish list for churches. I will not be homeless. I just might not be in control, either.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite lessons about waiting comes from Moses, who waited in the desert for 40 years before God revealing to him the purpose for which he had been called.

    40.

    Years.

    And that desert time was spent training him to lead others over a path he himself had trod and knew well.

    We never know how God will use the desert/waiting periods in our life. But when he does, it makes them sweet times, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!