Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New Year, New Me

Yesterday was my birthday. I am now 36 -- in the second half of this decade. For some reason, this was a difficult birthday for me. I guess I just obsess over the idea of being closer to 40. So, last night, I sat down and created a list of 101 things I'd like to do before my 40th birthday. This isn't really a "bucket list" because it has a different feel to me. It is more a list of goals and a "to-do" list for my life. Being the perfectionist that I am, it is hard for me to look at this list and not try to knock it out before my next birthday. I really had to challenge myself to think ahead and make some long-term goals. It was good for me.

Faith

  1. Memorize 100 verses (That's a little more than 2 a month)
  2. Adopt a Missionary family
  3. See Sister be baptized
  4. Worship freely without worrying about what others think
  5. Plug into a teaching position (still praying about this one – as to where)
  6. Participate in family mission trip
  7. Establish “do-able” Bible study routine
  8. Read through the entire Bible
  9. Begin and maintain a prayer journal
  10. Tithe regularly and have extra to give
  11. Volunteer to help in church nursery and/or other ministry area as needed (once a month at most)
  12. Join a Sunday School class or Bible study for personal growth – not for teaching others

Family

  1. Teach my kids 100 verses – preferable the ones I learn
  2. Go hiking with my family once a month without complaining
  3. Stop what I’m doing when the kids need me
  4. Read Bible stories together
  5. Teach sister to swim
  6. Have success in struggles with Brother
  7. Go on ski trip
  8. Record more family memories on blog
  9. Finish the baby books
  10. Take pictures/video of the kids at least once a week because they grow up too fast
  11. Have family beach portrait taken
  12. Spend more time with my grandmother before she is gone
  13. Call my sister more often
  14. Have date night with hubby at least once a month
  15. Create chore charts for the kids
  16. Re-establish allowance
  17. Make plans for educating the children (private, public, or home)
  18. Decide about a family pet (I’m still a firm NO!)

Home

  1. De-clutter the garage
  2. Find something to hang over the couch
  3. Rid the house of all cardboard moving boxes
  4. Create filing system for bills/receipts
  5. Make a 2 week menu plan and STICK TO IT
  6. Try two new recipes a month
  7. Let Brother help more in the kitchen
  8. Limit dining out to twice a week
  9. Finish hanging pictures
  10. De-clutter/decorate the Master Bedroom
  11. Clean out and donate the clothes we never wear
  12. Establish a family budget
  13. Get out of debt
  14. Come in under budget for 2 consecutive months
  15. Set up monthly savings draft
  16. Learn to garden
  17. Get oriental rug cleaned
  18. Have shower doors installed in Master bathroom
  19. Bake treats for neighbors/co-workers/teachers monthly
  20. Establish regular laundry day
  21. Clean kitchen each evening
  22. Paint the kids’ bedrooms
  23. Reduce the number of toys in the playroom
  24. Have company for dinner at least twice a month
  25. Scan important documents (birth certificates, marriage license, etc) so we have digital copies

Personal

  1. Cut back on Diet Coke
  2. Eat breakfast everyday
  3. Learn to run
  4. Drink more water each day
  5. Get to goal weight and STAY THERE!
  6. Take a photography class
  7. Learn Photoshop
  8. Get facial
  9. Color my hair to cover the new-found grey
  10. Buy another pair of non-neutral shoes
  11. Join a gym
  12. Get a pedicure more than once a year
  13. Participate in a Girls’ Night Out once a month – and even getaway every so often
  14. Find a walking buddy
  15. Start taking a multi-vitamin
  16. Schedule dentist appointment
  17. Schedule annual physical
  18. Take medicine as prescribed
  19. Join the choir
  20. Reward myself without food
  21. Be less of a wall flower and more confident of who I am

Fun

  1. Go on cruise with hubby
  2. Plan and budget for annual family vacation
  3. Go to Disney
  4. Spend at least one Saturday a month doing some family activity
  5. Call or write old friends once a month
  6. Go to Crater of Diamonds State Park
  7. Go camping with the family
  8. Regularly schedule playdates
  9. Make time to read – one book per month
  10. Finish Sister’s quilt
  11. Implement “Game Nite” at our house
  12. Go to college football game
  13. Make time to sew
  14. Have a reunion with my seminary gals
  15. “Camp” under the Christmas tree once in December
  16. Carve Jack-o-Lanterns
  17. Visit “pick-your-own” fruit orchard

Simplify

  1. Master clipping/using coupons
  2. Use my crock-pot weekly
  3. Get a family calendar – and use it
  4. Organize my pantry
  5. Get timer to limit computer time (for self and kids)
  6. Keep some ready-made meals in freezer for “emergency”
  7. Keep record of wants/wishes throughout year for Christmas shopping
  8. Purge life/home of unnecessary things without guilt

1 comment:

  1. Those are GREAT lists!!!

    My favorite...."Cut back on Diet Cokes."

    Me, too, girl. Me, too.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!