Thursday, August 13, 2009

If I had a Hammer

So, before I begin. I have to say that I am the most untalented person when it comes to decorating my house. I watch a lot of HGTV, but never to say, "Hey, I'm gonna do that right now." Well, the new house has brought out a new side of me -- a person who likes to decorate and make things pretty. It is most likely because I have lived in the MOST GOD-AWFUL rent houses (not that I'm ungrateful or anything, just tellin' it like it is) in the last 2 places, so it is nice to get to do my own thing.

So, the new house has something we never had in Texas, floor vents for the AC.
These vents pose a dilemma for me because we people in the South love our AC. So, you cannot go and block these vents with anything like furniture. What's a girl to do when the "vent wall" is the only suitable location for the couch?

Well, I went searching for some inspiration and Thrifty Decor Chick had a great post about sofa tables that lead me to a WONDERFUL solution. The only problem was that I would have to create it myself -- from scratch. I've always admired people who could build, and I've always wanted to learn, but this is a totally new area for me (and I don't have a daddy who built anything either). So, I did the scariest thing first - I want to the lumber department of Lowe's. Talk about being clueless and feeling like I was in a foreign country. I survived. I bought wood, brackets, $1 spray paint, and peg board. (you will see why later). Then I came home and gathered my tools.
I then went about creating a sofa table. I connected the 1x2s to the 2x6s using the L-brackets. Then - to create ventilation for the floor vent - I used peg board for the tabletop. Genius! (It was hubby's idea).
So, I just nailed the pegboard to my tableframe -- all 8 feet of it. Love it!

Then, I stood the puppy up and spray painted the top and sides black. The inside won't ever be seen, so no need to use up all my paint.

Then, after it dried, I took it inside, placed some accessories on top, and Wah-lah. Beautiful sofa table that serves a duel purpose.
Unless you go snooping around to the back of the couch, you'd never know. Isn't it pretty?!?
I still may need to take some classes in arranging accessories, but I am pleased with the current result -- and I'm not sweating in my family room.

4 comments:

  1. Oh. my. word. Color me impressed!! You should be so extremely proud of yourself and that really looks great! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks GREAT!!! I am so impressed!! Seriously, the peg board was brilliant.
    I think you arranged it beautifully! Do you mind if I share this? Just e-mail me back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at YOU, all Handy Manny and everything! I don't know how we're even friends - that's crafty and CRAFTy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks great!! I am so impressed, what a neat and clever idea!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!