Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'll Tell the World that I'm a Christian

Last Sunday, our family took a whirlwind trip to Mississippi to my hubby's home town. It is about a 400 mile drive round-trip. While we knew the trip would be an exhausting one, we were excited to make it, and even looked forward to it.

About a month ago, hubby made this drive by himself. He went home to visit with his grandfather. Pappaw is 87. He is in declining health, and my hubby wanted to visit with him. More importantly, God wanted my hubby to visit with Pappaw. You see, as long as I've been in the family (12+ years), people have verbally questioned Pappaw's salvation. Yet, they were always afraid of offending the family Patriarch. Well, about a month ago, God made it clear to my hubby that it was time to settle the questioning once and for all. So, out of obedience to God, and love for his Pappaw, Hubby paid a visit to Mississippi. I was still in Texas. I prayed diligently for my hubby while he traveled, and I asked the Lord to give him the right words to say and to give Pappaw a soft heart. The Lord answered our prayers. Pappaw was not at all offended by the conversation. He was in fact humbled and readily accepted the Lord into his life that Saturday afternoon.


At the time, Pappaw talked with Hubby about baptism. While he knew that baptism wasn't necessary for salvation, he wanted to make his decision public and follow in believer's baptism. He told hubby, "If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do this all the way."

So, that is why our family made the trip to Mississippi.

Pappaw made his profession of faith public a few weeks back, walking the aisle of the church that his wife, Mammaw, has attended for 50+ years. It is the same church where hubby served as the church pianist during high school. It is also the same church where hubby got to baptize Pappaw last Sunday evening.

Pappaw is a frail man. He suffers from macular degeneration, COPD, and can only walk with the aid of a walker. The idea of him walking into a baptistry was a scary one. In fact, we had some family members call to ask us to try to talk Pappaw out of being baptized. They were afraid he would fall, or would become embarrassed by the help he needed to get in and out of the baptistry. But it was important to Pappaw. It did take a lot of work for him to be assisted up and into the baptistry. It did take a lot of time. It also required two additional helpers. But, in the end, he got to experience those baptismal waters wash over him - symbolizing his new life in Christ.
It spoke volumes to me about the powerful transformation that come when one accepts Christ as their Savior. You see, the "old" (meaning former) Pappaw would have been too proud to appear crippled in front of a group of people. And the "old" Pappaw would have scoffed at the idea of anyone climbing into the baptistry at the age of 87. But the "new" Pappaw wanted to follow his Lord to the fullest. The "new" Pappaw only had his sights on pleasing an audience of One -- not on the congregation of on-lookers. At 87, Pappaw doesn't have many more days to live for Christ on this earth, but it is clear that he intends to live each one in obedience. Christ has change the heart of this once hard man. It is so wonderful to witness

"Anyone who believes in Christ is a new creation. The old is gone! The new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

4 comments:

  1. What a powerful story. It's never too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have goose bumps. This is such a precious story. What a special time for your family!! CPQ's right...it's never too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story.

    I have tears streaming down my face. Because it is never too late. And the true transformation that comes with Christ has uttered me speechless.

    Thank you for sharing.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that God blessed your family because your dh was obedient, it reminds me of the Beth Moore hairbrush story. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking. I love to hear from y'all!