Friday, September 11, 2009

Were You There?

9-11-2001

It is a day that will forever be marked in my memory. Kind-of like some other historical days in other's minds -- the day the challenger exploded, the day of the Oklahoma City Bombing, the day JFK was shot, the day Elvis died. I think I will always remember with VIVID detail the sights, feelings, and happenings of 9-11.

Brother was just 8 months old. I had gotten up early that morning (which was the routine of those days). For some reason, hubby had already left for work, and I was feeding Brother in his bouncy seat at the kitchen table. I turned on Good Morning America for my daily news fix. I was met with the breaking news report of a fire at the World Trade Center. My immediate thought was to think back to the previous bombing of the WTC in 1993. Then, before my very eyes -- and thousands of others -- the plane hit the second building. I went numb. I couldn't believe what I just witnessed. This was clearly no accident. I immediately picked up the phone and called my hubby. My first question to him was if he could see the TV without any kids around. (At the time, hubby worked at a children's home and had the responsibility of caring for other's children during this crisis, and shielding the kids from the news.)

The rest of the day, while I remember it clearly, is also a blur because the time passed so quickly as I sat in front of the television. It was shocking to see it all. I remember walking through my bedroom when I heard the report of the attack at the pentagon. I immediately cried out to God and literally fell to my knees. Our country was being attacked, and He was the only one who was in control.

I remember the complete shock that washed over me as the towers crumbled into white ash all over the city. If I hadn't seen it, I would have never believed it.

As I look back, I'm grateful that Brother was just an infant. I'm grateful that he couldn't tell the fear and worry that ran through my veins that morning and afternoon. I'm grateful that he served as a distraction to me during the day.

It has been 8 years since that clear, blue fall morning in 2001. It is sad to me that the attacks weren't even mentioned at Brother school today. I know that life carries on, but I believe that I am a different person because of the 9-11 attacks. We live in a different country that we did before the 9-11 attacks. It was a day that forever changed our history books and our lives. I just think it needs some recognition, and all those who suffered loss that day deserve some remembering.

So, today I choose to remember. I remember those who lost a loved one on September 11th. I remember those who faithfully served in the aftermath. I remember those who cannot work in tall buildings because of the fear. I remember the children who are without parents. I remember the heros of the day -- both living and dead -- who helped our country during its most difficult trial. I will never forget!

Do you remember that day? Tell me!

No comments: